Posted on October 20, 2014
These facts appeared in our Norwex consultant newsletter (because this is the kind of thing that gets us motivated!) and I just had to share:
Did you know…
- More than 60 million plastic water bottles are discarded every DAY. At best, they are ending up in landfills where they take up to 700 years to decompose. Sadly, many of them end up as litter or in our lakes and rivers.
- Just in North America, the plastic water bottles we use in a year require more than 15 MILLION barrels of oil for manufacturing, transport, and disposal. That would fuel about 100,000 cars for a YEAR.
- The energy used by consuming single-use plastic bottles could power 190,000 homes.
- Recycling ONE plastic bottle can conserve enough energy to light a 60W bulb for 6 hours.
- The Recycling Institute says only about one in six plastic bottles sold in North America is recycled. That means, of every 60 million water bottles we use, 50 MILLION end up in landfills or as litter.
Are you moved to action? Will YOU be the one making sure plastic bottles are recycled at your next family or company event?
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” ~Margaret Mead